Saturday, November 13, 2010

Surname Saturday - SPEARING, Hants County, Nova Scotia, Canada

Mark Spearing is my 4gr-grandfather and he arrived in Nova Scotia sometime prior to his August 1816 marriage to Patience Lake.  Apparently, he had had been Shanghied in Britain as a boy and spent a period of time at sea before jumping ship in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.  He made his way to the Kempt Shore area (now Hants County) where he, according to family lore, obtained a land grant for his service to the King.  Is this story true?  Well, I think he obtained some land, but I'm not certain how or why.

There are no known photos of Mark or Patience.

According to entries in a bible that had belonged to Emma Collicut (Mark's Great-Granddaughter), Mark was born on 24 March 1789 , died on 04 November 1858 and Patience Lake was born 10 June 1787 and died 25 May 1861.  Mark and Patience were married on 08 August 1816.  No places or parents' names were recorded.  Mark and Patience were buried in High Head Cemetery, Cambridge, Hants County. 

I will have to do some research to confirm these dates so I think I will start with the marriage and then check out the land grant indexes at NSARM.  Their website also lists a microfilm number for High Head Cemetery records, so I've put that on my to-do list.

I have a cousin, a 2gr-granddaughter of Mark's, who I can call to discuss this with so I will try to do that this weekend.

Please see the link on the side bar "Spearing Family" for the unsourced information that I have gathered so far about Mark, Patience and their children.  I am descended from their son, Nathan and his wife, Ellison (Cox) Spearing.

Next week, I will report on my progress on this family.

Until next time, Happy Researching!

No comments:

Post a Comment